N341 - Help, Search, Project Finish
The Stock Trading site is nearly complete, all that remains of the implementation is to add search and help.
A self-critique will serve to identify implementation problems before public release.
The user interface implemented for the project was not designed following any recognized method or practices but was arbitrarily assigned by the instructor. The result is an excellent example of a Web system with a few strengths and many weaknesses. At this point the interface is implemented; the concrete has been poured, any significant changes would be costly. However, as a functioning user interface it does present an opportunity for a critical examination of its flaws.
The assignment then is to:
The lecture notes provide discussion of common practices, reasons for their use, and examples for basing your critique and recommendations.
Begin with the start page location through a complete task of discovering help.
Assume there are multiple help topics but consider in detail only that for withdrawing a payment from one's account.
Also assume there are at least 3 possible methods of payment (e.g. bank transfer, credit card reimbursement, etc.); provide help on only one.
Because the complete site page links could be extensive, only
show no more than 3 links from pages along the path to the help on your selected method of
It is not necessary to user test the prototype.
- Implement in HTML/XML/XLS/script/graphics/etc. only the portion of the help system implemented in the hand drawn paper prototype.
- Add Google or other search service, restricting search to some stock related site of your choice (e.g. Motley Fools).
See course notes on local search. You can also View Source of this page to see how Google search is implemented.
Because the course Web server does not allow robots, local search cannot be performed.
- To make search accessible from each page, considering adding to a navigation element such as top, left or bottom navigation.
Windows screen capture: Alt + Prnt Scrn keys capture the currently open window to the clipboard. It can then be pasted into Word, etc.
a. Violation: Designing for Users, top-navigation is low contrast.
b. Improvement: Use CSS to specify that all navigation are consistent colors of higher contrast, such as example below.
The user interface (implemented in N341) for the stock trading site requires logic and data to fully test the implementation.
Test your project with a completed logic by:
- Create a new directory named W:\N341\Project Test
- Copy all files from W:\N341\Project to W:\N341\Project Test
- Download N341 Test Project file to extract the logic files
Windows 7 may try to scare you with security hassles, use the following to extract the files:
Select Run | Actions | Options | Run Anyway
Unzip to W:\N341\Project Test
- Test all site functionality in IE:
- In browser address enter:
- http://iu-uits-eiwp1.ads.iu.edu/username/N341/Project Test/Welcome.xml
- Register, starting with an amount of $1000.00,
- Buy and sell, placing several stocks in the cart,
- Remove several stocks from the cart,
- Commit the cart selections,
- Portfolio display,
- Account display,
Problems, things to try:
Verify Project.mdb exists in the Project Test directory.
Reset, forcing all users off by: http://iu-uits-eiwp1.ads.iu.edu/username/N342/Project Test/Reset.asp
Close browser and reopen.
Turn in - Due on the date listed in the syllabus.
OnCourse Drop Box
- The period of time between the project due date and turning in grades is very short so it is very important that the files be named and placed in the locations specified by the instructions. Otherwise I may be unable to locate and grade your work.
- Verify the Drop Box version works by copying Project Test.zip files back to directory W:\N341\FINAL and rerunning the tests.